[Intel-gfx] [RFC 04/15] drm/i915: Add headers for non-HDAudio HDMI interface

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Mon Mar 14 15:21:54 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 10:13:58AM -0500, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> On 3/11/16 1:09 PM, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:27:13AM -0600, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> >> Thanks for the review Ville
> >>
> >> [snip]

> >> Yes, it's far from great...

> >> Are you saying that the subdevice would provide a read/write interface
> >> for the audio driver to look at display registers, and the i915 driver
> >> would only provide a notification interface (EDID and interrupts) to the
> >> audio driver?
> >
> > The audio driver would simply ioremap the appropriate range of
> > registers itself.
> >
> >> If yes, would there be two component framework links, one between
> >> i915/audio driver and one between subdevice/audio driver.
> >
> > Yeah sort of. i915 registers the platform device for the audio, the
> > audio driver can then bind to the device via the platform driver .probe
> > callback. It can then register with the audio component stuff at some
> > point to get the relevant notifications on the display state. When
> > i915 gets unloaded we remove the platform device, at which point the
> > audio driver's platform driver .remove() callback gets invoked and
> > it should unregister/cleanup everything.
>
> we don't want to expose this interface when HDAudio is present and
> enabled so we would need to add a test for this.
> Also it looks like you want the creation of the platform device done in
> i915, we were thinking of doing this as part of the audio drivers but in
> the end this looks equivalent. In both cases we would end-up ignoring
> the HAD022A8 HID and not use acpi for this extension

Well, if you have a device you can hang off from then i915 should need
to register it I suppose. Though that would make the interrupt
forwarding perhaps less nice. There's also the suspend/resume order
dependency to deal with if there's no parent/child relationship between
the devices.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC