[Intel-gfx] i915 ERRORs and WARN_ON()s

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Sun May 1 09:37:14 UTC 2016

Hi Florian,

I fully understand your frustration with all this - you have a bug and
it's annoying and creating bugzilla accounts all over the internet is
indeed not a good way to do things. Unfortunately bugzilla is the
standard, and we don't have the manpower to write our own, nor do the
freedesktop.org admins (who's infrastructure we're using, and who are
all volunteers) have time to transition to other systems.

Also we're positively flooded in bug reports and patch mails (100-200
mails/day on intel-gfx, probably 100 new bugs/months in bugzilla), and
we do expect reporters to e.g. be able to install from source, provide
logs and tons of other things. If creating an account is too much
work, then it's much better to file with someone else who takes care
of the triaging for you (distro or similar), or hire a contractor to
fix your problem for you (there are tons). Bug reports on the m-l that
aren't resolved immediately by pointing at an existing patch are
pretty much guaranteed to get lost.

Again, I fully understand your frustration, but please also take into
account the constraints on our side.

I expect that the technical discussion on the bug itself will continue
in bugzilla. And of course if you want to improve this, help with bug
triaging or anything else then that's very much welcome, but
complaining that there's not an endless supply of free labour that
makes everything work perfectly on both sides is not productive.

Thanks a lot,

Daniel, drm/i915 maintainer

Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch