[Intel-gfx] [REGRESSION] Occasional Flickering with Linux 4.6.0-rc* on Scree connected to eDP

Arnd Hannemann arnd at arndnet.de
Wed May 4 09:45:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

with 4.6.0-rc4 and -rc6 kernel I experience occasional (every 1-2 Minutes)
on my laptop (thinkpad t440s) screen.
This flickering has not been there in 4.5.
Unfortunately the laptop does not boot with 4.6-rc1.

The laptop screen is connected via eDP. I have two other monitors connected to the dock,
conected via DP. They do not show the flickering.
There is nothing in the log when the flickering occurs (drm.debug=14).

Compared to 4.5.0 I see the following message with 4.6.0 after bootup:

[ 5921.720651] [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.

I tried to increase graphics memory in bios, however, this did not seem to have any effect.

Any idea how to track this down? I'm happy to provide more info.

Best Regards
Arnd