[Intel-gfx] FreeBSD i915 driver update

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Fri May 13 07:43:50 UTC 2016

> I don't have any FreeBSD experience and I don't know what kind of team
> of developers you have, but it is my educated guess that you'll have
> plenty of more productive things to do than trying to maintain a
> significant amount of delta with upstream while also trying to stay
> up-to-date.

I agree 100%. FreeBSD's DRM support has lagged further and further
behind every year. Linux 3.8 was releases 39 months ago, but support
for it just went in to FreeBSD in March of this year. By working on
the linuxkpi side of things I was able to get the 4.6-rc5 i915 up and
running with at least glxgears working in under three weeks. It's
really hard to argue for making the driver "native" any more.

>> Our ultimate goal is to align closely with the Linux graphics
>> development community and collaborate with Intel, ATI, and others on
>> keeping FreeBSD up to date in their product development efforts.
>
> The focus and priority of the i915 driver is obviously Linux, but I
> don't see us rejecting patches that help FreeBSD if the patches
> generally make sense and don't interfere with the main priority.

That would be much appreciated. I have the diff with upstream down to
~450 lines, so there likely isn't a whole lot that needs to change.
However, there may be small things that are easier to do in the driver
than in the linuxkpi.

Thanks in advance.

-M