[Intel-gfx] FW: Wrt golden MMIO/CFG snaphot in GVT-g

Joonas Lahtinen joonas.lahtinen at linux.intel.com
Fri May 27 11:32:25 UTC 2016

On pe, 2016-05-27 at 10:05 +0000, Wang, Zhi A wrote:
> For me I think maybe i915 could save the snapshot for GVT, then GVT-g
> patch the snapshot itself, then there won’t be leaking happened I
> think. Even we wrote a dedicated little program, we would do the same
> thing.

It will be much harder to ask everyone else in addition to those with
odd hardware revisions to provide the boot-captured register state for
each bug they report. I do not feel adding some extra (one-time!)
effort for customers deploying on weird SKUs overcomes that everyone
would have to provide a register dump for each bug.

So I am still very much against making a register freeze at each boot.
Even creating a one-shot golden state automatically when one is found
missing the SKU from firmware package and then using that each time
would make the system operation more stable. It should not be too hard
to instruct customer to do that?

Regards, Joonas

--
Joonas Lahtinen