[Intel-gfx] IGT contributions and reviews

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Oct 19 13:19:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Jani Nikula
<jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2016, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

>>> Agreed. (Though a more rigorous review requirement doesn't necessarily
>>> slow things down in the big picture.)

>>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> We've already had this, and people stopped bothering. What will be
>> different this time around? I feel a bit like we do need to be a bit more
>> formal here, to really make this stick ...
>>
>> Also, who's going to be the annoying maintainer who reminds everyone every
>> time they break the rules? It'll take some serious effort here to get
>> folks off their well-trodded paths onto a new one I think.
>
> What's your concrete proposal?

1. Bring up the topic.
2. Discuss it to death until suitable rough consensus emerges.
3. Roll out new rules and have a semi-evil maintainer (I can help with
that) enforce them.

I think anything up to full review starndards like we have them for
the kernel (for all of igt, for simplicity) should be on the table,
and would in my opinion be an adequate choice. Personally I'm leaning
more towards the process-heavy side. Replied to Paulo with more of my
reasons for that.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch