[Intel-gfx] i915 and GTV-g maintenance, workflows and CI

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Thu Oct 20 09:02:54 UTC 2016

We need to formalize the process between i915 proper and GVT-g a bit
more, and address some of the current shortcomings and issues in the
process and GVT-g CI.

This started off internally as a random list of items, I'm including
some of the current status as well. Please comment, as some of the stuff
here are just my opinions.

* How do we ensure GVT-g patches get the same kind of pre-merge CI
  coverage as we have for other i915 code? Could we at least make CI run
  tests on GVT-g pull requests before merging to drm-intel trees?

  => Work in progress to set up GVT-g CI.

* How do we handle fixes to GVT-g code? Do all fixes need to go via the
  GVT-g mailing lists and review? We're bound to get GVT-g patches on
  intel-gfx mailing list too. There's confusion already [1]. Mostly the
  GVT-g changes come from GVT-g maintainers as pull requests.

  [1] https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/14000/

* GVT-g related changes to i915 proper must be reviewed on intel-gfx
  mailing list, and must either be applied to drm-intel directly, or get
  an ack to be merged via GVT-g tree and pull requests.

* GVT-g needs to start annotating fixes with the Fixes: tags, preferably
  also cc: stable when we get that far, so our fixes plumbing can figure
  out which commits to backport.

  => GVT-g maintainers will take care of this.

* Should GVT-g have a MAINTAINERS entry of its own?

  => https://github.com/01org/gvt-linux/commit/41161c9e9e50a5bad98a0e74ad0878c352bdea40

	+INTEL GVT-g DRIVERS (Intel GPU Virtualization)
	+M:      Zhenyu Wang <zhenyuw at linux.intel.com>
	+M:      Zhi Wang <zhi.a.wang at intel.com>
	+L:      igvt-g-dev at lists.01.org
	+L:      intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org
	+W:      https://01.org/igvt-g
	+T:      git https://github.com/01org/gvt-linux.git
	+S:      Supported
	+F:      drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gvt/

  I think we'll want to keep intel-gfx there, but mostly I think it's
  fine for the usual GVT-g development to happen on igvt-g-dev only.

* igvt-g-dev at lists.01.org needs to start accepting mails from
  non-subscribers.

  => Work in progress.

* GVT-g needs to start paying more attention to compiler and sparse
  warnings.

  => GVT-G maintainers will take care of this.

* GVT-g could use some overview documentation under Documentation/gpu.

* GVT-g bug management. Do you have something set up already? Would be
  great to be able to use https://bugs.freedesktop.org so we could
  reassign between i915 and GVT-g.

What did I forget/overlook?

BR,