[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/4] GPU/CPU timestamps correlation for relating OA samples with system events

Lionel Landwerlin lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com
Tue Dec 5 14:16:06 UTC 2017

Hey Sagar,

Sorry for the delay looking into this series.
I've done some userspace/UI work in GPUTop to try to correlate perf
samples/tracepoints with i915 perf reports.

I wanted to avoid having to add too much logic into the kernel and tried
to sample both cpu clocks & gpu timestamps from userspace.
So far that's not working. People more knowledgable than I would have
realized that the kernel can sneak in work into syscalls.
So result is that 2 syscalls (one to get the cpu clock, one for the gpu
timestamp) back to back from the same thread leads to time differences
of anywhere from a few microseconds to in some cases close to
1millisecond. So it's basically unworkable.
Anyway the UI work won't go to waste :)

I'm thinking to go with your approach.
 From my experiment with gputop, it seems we might want to use a
different cpu clock source though or make it configurable.
The perf infrastructure allows you to choose what clock you want to use.
Since we want to avoid time adjustments on that clock (because we're
adding deltas), a clock monotonic raw would make most sense.

I'll look at adding some tests for this too.

Thanks,

-
Lionel