[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/4] GPU/CPU timestamps correlation for relating OA samples with system events

Lionel Landwerlin lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com
Thu Dec 21 12:59:25 UTC 2017

Some more findings I made while playing with this series & GPUTop.
Turns out the 2ms drift per second is due to timecounter. Adding the
delta this way :

https://github.com/djdeath/linux/commit/7b002cb360483e331053aec0f98433a5bd5c5c3f#diff-9b74bd0cfaa90b601d80713c7bd56be4R607

Eliminates the drift. Timelines of perf i915 tracepoints & OA reports
now make a lot more sense.

There is still the issue that reading the CPU clock & the RCS timestamp
is inherently not atomic. So there is a delta there.
I think we should add a new i915 perf record type to express the delta
that we measure this way :

https://github.com/djdeath/linux/commit/7b002cb360483e331053aec0f98433a5bd5c5c3f#diff-9b74bd0cfaa90b601d80713c7bd56be4R2475

So that userspace knows there might be a global offset between the 2
times and is able to present it.
Measurement on my KBL system were in the order of a few microseconds
(~30us).
I guess we might be able to setup the correlation point better (masking
interruption?) to reduce the delta.

Thanks,

-
Lionel