[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/4] GPU/CPU timestamps correlation for relating OA samples with system events

Lionel Landwerlin lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com
Fri Dec 22 10:16:17 UTC 2017

On 22/12/17 09:30, Sagar Arun Kamble wrote:

> On 12/21/2017 6:29 PM, Lionel Landwerlin wrote:
>> Some more findings I made while playing with this series & GPUTop.
>> Turns out the 2ms drift per second is due to timecounter. Adding the
>> delta this way :
>>
>> https://github.com/djdeath/linux/commit/7b002cb360483e331053aec0f98433a5bd5c5c3f#diff-9b74bd0cfaa90b601d80713c7bd56be4R607
>>
>> Eliminates the drift.
> I see two imp. changes 1. approximation of start time during
> init_timecounter 2. overflow handling in delta accumulation.
> With these incorporated, I guess timecounter should also work in same
> fashion.

I think the arithmetic in timecounter is inherently lossy and that's why
we're seeing a drift. Could we be using it wrong?

In the patch above, I think there is still a drift because of the
potential fractional part loss at every delta we add.
But it should only be a fraction of a nanosecond multiplied by the
number of reports over a period of time.
With a report every 1us, that should still be much less than a 1ms of
drift over 1s.

We can probably do better by always computing the clock using the entire
delta rather than the accumulated delta.

>> Timelines of perf i915 tracepoints & OA reports now make a lot more
>> sense.
>>
>> There is still the issue that reading the CPU clock & the RCS
>> timestamp is inherently not atomic. So there is a delta there.
>> I think we should add a new i915 perf record type to express the
>> delta that we measure this way :
>>
>> https://github.com/djdeath/linux/commit/7b002cb360483e331053aec0f98433a5bd5c5c3f#diff-9b74bd0cfaa90b601d80713c7bd56be4R2475
>>
>> So that userspace knows there might be a global offset between the 2
>> times and is able to present it.
> agree on this. Delta ns1-ns0 can be interpreted as max drift.
>> Measurement on my KBL system were in the order of a few microseconds
>> (~30us).
>> I guess we might be able to setup the correlation point better
>> (masking interruption?) to reduce the delta.
> already using spin_lock. Do you mean NMI?

I don't actually know much on this point.
if spin_lock is the best we can do, then that's it :)