[Intel-gfx] Problem with i915 driver when mixing Skylake CPU with Kabylake chipset

Rainer Koenig Rainer.Koenig at ts.fujitsu.com
Wed Feb 1 14:10:27 UTC 2017

Am 01.02.2017 um 14:50 schrieb Jani Nikula:

>> I read from that, that the driver issues the warning when PCH is a
>> Kabypoint PCH, but the CPU based graphics is not from a Kabylake CPU.
>
> It's just a warning. But if there really are such combos out there, we
> should get rid of the warning. Patch sent [1].

Seent the patch, thanks. Those combos are defined by our product
managers to satisfy the demand for systems with the latest chipset that
can be used with Windows 7. ;-) My job is to make them usable for Linux
and now I run into problemns...

>> So my questions is what is the status of the driver regarding the
>> combination of Skylake CPU with Kabylake chipset?
>
> I'm not aware of any issues, IIUC there shouldn't be differences between
> the PCHs that would affect your perceived userspace segfault, and it
> shouldn't segfault anyway based on what i915 does.

Ack. The segfault thing was the best I could get so far. Other distros
like SLED 12 SP2 just die during bootup. I have to find a way to get
debugger access / serial console working on that system so that I can
find out more...

Thanks
Rainer
--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig
Project Manager Linux Clients

Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Bürgermeister-Ullrich-Str. 100
86199 Augsburg
Germany

Telephone: +49-821-804-3321
Telefax:   +49-821-804-2131
Mail:      mailto:Rainer.Koenig at ts.fujitsu.com

Internet         ts.fujtsu.com
Company Details  ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html