[Intel-gfx] kbl_guc and bxt_guc firmware missing from linux-firmware

Seth Forshee seth.forshee at canonical.com
Tue Feb 14 13:39:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've noted that kbl_guc_ver9_14.bin and bxt_guc_ver8_7.bin are not in
linux-firmware despite being available here:

 https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware

Is there some reason they haven't been pusehd out to linux-firmware,
e.g. are they not yet stable or something like that? Any reason we
shouldn't ship those files in Ubuntu's linux-firmware?

Frankly, the practice of adding MODULE_FIRMWARE statements to i915 for
files which aren't in linux-firmware has become a significant annoyance
to me as Ubuntu's linux-firmware package maintainer. I'm getting a
steady stream of bug reports from users about the "Possible missing
firmware ..." messages from mkinitramfs, to the point that I've started
removing the MODULE_FIRMWARE statements for those files from our
kernels.

Thanks,
Seth