[Intel-gfx] [RFC 7/8] drm/i915/tracepoints: Add backend level request in and out tracepoints

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 14:07:02 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 01:59:54PM +0000, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
> On 27/01/2017 12:27, Chris Wilson wrote:
> >Hmm. Following on from that we can add the out tracepoint as a
> >fence-callback. For the moment, I'd drop guc/legacy
> >trace_i915_gem_request_in and we will try something more magical. Though
> >once we do enable the fake GuC scheduler we will have an appropriate
> >place to drop an trace_i915_gem_request_out. Just leaving ringbuffer as
> >the odd one out, but for who arguably the in/out logic is not as
> >important.
>
> Fence signalled is very lazy if no one is listening, no? So until
> the GUC backend I thought request_in and deriving the _out from
> _notify in userspace would be OK. Meaning enable signalling stays
> until then.

It's lazy unless we use fence_add_callback(). I was thinking of some
magic inside the trace_request_in macro to add something like
fence_add_callback(this_fence, __trace_request_out);

It still has the problem request_out doesn't work unless request_in is
also being watched, but it has the advantage of being the same for all
generators (i.e. more convenient for userspace).

But as it seems limited to ringbuffer, we may consider it no longer
required?