[Intel-gfx] ✗ Fi.CI.BAT: warning for RFC: duct-tape for the gpu reset vs. modeset deadlock

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Sat Jul 15 13:45:45 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Patchwork
> <patchwork at emeril.freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> == Series Details ==
>>
>> Series: RFC: duct-tape for the gpu reset vs. modeset deadlock
>> URL   : https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/27345/
>> State : warning
>>
>> == Summary ==
>>
>> Series 27345v1 RFC: duct-tape for the gpu reset vs. modeset deadlock
>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/api/1.0/series/27345/revisions/1/mbox/
>>
>> Test drv_hangman:
>>         Subgroup error-state-basic:
>>                 pass       -> DMESG-WARN (fi-blb-e6850)
>>                 pass       -> DMESG-WARN (fi-pnv-d510)
>> Test gem_busy:
>>         Subgroup basic-hang-default:
>>                 pass       -> DMESG-WARN (fi-blb-e6850)
>>                 pass       -> DMESG-WARN (fi-pnv-d510)
>> Test gem_exec_fence:
>>         Subgroup await-hang-default:
>>                 pass       -> DMESG-WARN (fi-blb-e6850)
>>                 pass       -> DMESG-WARN (fi-pnv-d510)
>
> Looks like I wreaked something on gpus where the hw reset kills the
> display. I'll check it out.

Ok, simplest solution seems to be to just not do the special casing
between real hw reset and fake reset, and unconditionally shut down
all the CRTC. Probably a lot more than just the power domain tracking
will get out of whack. I wasn't really sold on that idea either way,
so I'll drop both "drm/i915: only disable outputs in simulated gpu
resets" and "drm/atomic-helper: add sync_all helper for gpu reset"
from the series. They're not needed really anyway.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch