[Intel-gfx] Making IGT runnable by CI and developers

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Jul 21 15:52:29 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Jani Nikula
<jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>  - Stress tests: They can be in the test suite as a way to catch rare
>>> issues, but they cannot be part of the default run mode. They likely should
>>> be run on a case-by-case basis, on demand of a developer. Each test could be
>>> allowed to take up to 1h.
>>>
>>> There are multiple ways of getting to this situation (up for debate):
>>>
>>>  1) All the tests exposed by default are fast and meant to be run:
>>>   - Fast-feedback is provided by a testlist, for BAT
>>>   - Stress tests ran using a special command, kept for on-demand testing
>>>
>>>  2) Tests are all tagged with information about their exec time:
>>>   - igt at basic@.*: Meant for BAT
>>>   - igt at complete@.*: Meant for FULL
>>>   - igt at stress@.*: The stress tests
>
> Ugh. I don't want any scheme that relies on modifying or renaming the
> tests themselves to categorize them. IMO the names of tests should only
> be informative. Categorization should be external to that.
>

>>>  3) Testlists all the way:
>>>   - fast-feedback: for BAT
>>>   - all: the tests that people are expected to run (CI will run them)
>>>   - Stress tests will not be part of any testlist.
>>>
>>> Whatever decision is being accepted, the CI team is mandating global
>>> timeouts for both BAT and FULL testing, in order to guarantee throughput.
>>> This will require the team as a whole to agree on time quotas per
>>> sub-systems, and enforce them.
>>>
>>> Can we try to get some healthy debate and reach a consensus on this? Our CI
>>> efforts are being limited by this issue right now, and we will be doing
>>> whatever we can until the test suite becomes saner and runnable, but this
>>> may be unfair to some developers.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to some constructive feedback and intelligent discussions!
>>> Martin
>>
>> Imo the critical bit for the full run (which should regression test
>> all features while being fast enough that we can use it for pre-merge
>> testing) must be the default set. Default here means what you get
>> without any special cmdline options (to either the test or piglit),
>> and without any special testlist that are separately maintained.
>> Default also means that it will be included by default if you do a new
>> testcase. There's two reasons for that:
>>
>> - Maintaining a separate test list is a pain. Also, it encourages
>> adding tons of tests that no one runs.
>>
>> - If tests aren't run by default we can't test them pre-merging before
>> they land in igt and wreak havoc.
>
> I agree the goal should be to run all tests by default. And this means
> we should start being more critical of the tests we add.
>
> For stress tests I would like to look more into splitting up the tests
> in a way that you could run one iteration fast (as part of default), and
> repeat the tests for more stress and coverage. I don't know how feasible
> this is, and if it requires carrying over state from one iteration to
> other, but I like the goal of running also some of this by default. This
> would better catch silly bugs in tests too. (We discussed this offline

I think right now, and for the near future (up to at least a year) the
only time we'll run stress tests if developers need nastier testcases
to help reproduce a bug locally. We simply don't have neither the CI
nor the QA resources to run these tests. If we're making really great
progress on overall quality and CI infrastructure (that needs budget
we don't have right now) and pre-merge testing we might be able to
start looking into running stress tests in CI or QA.

I think a good example is kms_frontbuffer_tracking --show-hidden,
which Paulo used to debug issues on his own machine.

>> Second, we must have a reasonable runtime, and reasonable runtime here
>> means a few hours of machine time for everything, total. There's two
>> reasons for that:
>> - Only pre-merge is early enough to catch regressions. We can lament
>> all day long, but fact is that post-merge regressions don't get fixed
>> or handled in a timely manner, except when they're really serious.
>> This means any testing strategy that depends upon lots of post-merge
>> testing, or expects such post-merge testing to work, is bound to fail.
>> Either we can test everything pre-merge, or there's no regression
>> testing at all.
>
> It's rarely as black and white as you make it out to be, but it's easy
> to agree pre-merge is the thing that really motivates people to figure
> stuff out because it blocks their patch from being merged.

Yeah it's not black/white for sure, but the difference in how serious
a regression is taking that BAT highlights, versus anything once stuff
is merged is rather extreme. I'd say with BAT-caught issues you have a
good chance that the developer will come up with a fixed patch version
within a day.

With regressions in the tree it takes a few weeks simply to get
agreement that maybe we should revert it. If (and that's a big one)
someone decides to deal with that hassle. I'd say there's at least 1
order of magnitude difference in how effective we deal with
regressions pre-merge vs. post-merge.

>> - We can't mix together multiple patch series bisect autobisecting is
>> too unreliable. I've been promised an autobisector for 3 years by
>> about 4 different teams now, making that happen in a reliable way is
>> _really_ hard. Blocking CI on this is not reasonable.
>>
>> Also, the testsuite really should be fast enough that developers can
>> run it locally on their machines in a work day. Current plan is that
>> we can only test on HSW for now, until more budget appears (again, we
>> can lament about this, but it's not going to change), which means
>> developers _must_ be able to run stuff on e.g. SKL in a reasonable
>> amount of time.
>>
>> Right now we have a runtime of the gem|prime tests of around 24 days,
>> and estimated 10 months for the stress tests included. I think the
>> actual machine time we'll have available in the near future, on this
>> HSW farm is going to allow 2-3h for gem tests. That's the time budget
>> for this default set of regression tests.
>>
>> Wrt actually implementing it: I don't care, as long as it fulfills the
>> above. So tagging, per-test comdline options, outright deleting all
>> the tests we can't run anyway, disabling them in the build system or
>> whatever else is all fine with me, as long as the default set doesn't
>> require any special action. For tags this would mean that untagged
>> tests are _all_ included.
>
> Off-topic, but IMO test lists are just an implementation of tags. In
> that sense, we already have tagging.

Agreed in principle, in practice the test-list is very far away from
where the subtest is defined. It's unlikely someone types a new
subtest and forgets to wire it up with an igt_subtest stanza. It's
very likely they'll forget to add it to some random file somewhere
(because that's not needed to run things locally). That's why I think
we need the default set. So even with tags, tags would be for the
special case (stress tests that need to be excluded, or maybe for
marking BAT stuff).

Cheers, Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch