[Intel-gfx] [RFC i-g-t 0/4] Redundant test pruning

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jun 26 16:09:14 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 12:31:39PM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
> From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>
>
> Small series which saves test execution time by removing the redundant tests.
>
> Tvrtko Ursulin (4):
>   igt: Remove default from the engine list
>   gem_exec_basic: Exercise the default engine selection
>   gem_sync: Add all and store_all subtests
>   extended.testlist: Remove some test-subtest combinations

Ack on patches 1&2, but I'm not sold on patch 3. Atm gem_* takes a
ridiculous amount of machine time to run, you're adding more stuff. Are
those tests really drastially better at catching races if we run them 10x
longer? Is there no better way to exercise the races (lots more machines,
maybe slower ones, which is atm impossible since it just takes way, way
too long and we need an entire farm just for one machine).

Also not sure how much curating extended.testlist is worth it, just make
the testcases faster :-) Like, roughly 100x faster overall for gem_* ...

But meanwhile ack on that one too.
-Daniel

>  lib/igt_gt.c                          |  1 -
>  tests/gem_exec_basic.c                |  9 ++++
>  tests/gem_sync.c                      |  5 +++
>  tests/intel-ci/extended.testlist      | 75 ++-----------------------------
>  tests/intel-ci/fast-feedback.testlist | 83 +++++++++++++++++------------------
>
> --
> 2.9.4