[Intel-gfx] i915 I2C failures with recent chips and docking stations

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri May 5 16:49:36 UTC 2017

On Fri, 05 May 2017, Sanford Rockowitz <rockowitz at minsoft.com> wrote:
> Jani,
>
> Thanks for your quick and detailed response.
>
> You wrote:
>
>> The single DP link is divided to several logical links to sink devices.
>
> Suppose the dock has a DVI and/or HDMI connector.  Are those connectors
> logical sinks to a master DisplayPort connection, or do they have their
> own connection through the dock to the laptop?  If the former, then
> telling people to use a DVI or HDMI connection on the dock would not be
> a workaround.

If I understand you right, the former. The connections look like
independent DP sinks. (Even for DVI/HDMI; the conversion is in the dock
in DP MST based docks.)

> ddcutil looks for displays by examining all non-SMBus /dev/i2c devices
> on the system.  If checks for the presence of slave address x50 and
> x37.  If they exist it tries to read the EDID on x50 and a Virtual
> Control Panel feature value on x37.

Seems like this should work.

> Looking at one of the user logs, I see that a couple /dev/i2c-n
> devices have udev sysattr name DPMST.  When ddcutil probes those
> /dev/i2c devices, slave addresses x50 and x37 appear active, but
> reading the EDID fails. So it would seem that the i2c-dev driver is
> not properly handling DP-MST.  Does that interpretation seem correct?
> If so, I'll bounce the issue over to the I2C folks.

I think it's more likely the issue is in core drm DP MST code, and
nobody ever tried the I2C interface for them. The core I2C code should
be completely ignorant about DP MST, or even DP for that matter.

> Alternatively, do the DP-MST devices present as some other userspace
> device that I can program to?  I imagine that searching udev for sysattr
> name DPMST would find any place in the /dev tree besides /dev/i2c where
> the devices are surfaced.   Would this be a bit-banging interface, or
> something at a higher level?  Or would I need to write a device driver?

You'll want the DP MST I2C code fixed. Well, at least it's my *guess*
that's where the problem is.

BR,
Jani.