[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/3] Engine utilization tracking

Dmitry Rogozhkin dmitry.v.rogozhkin at intel.com
Tue May 9 18:11:35 UTC 2017

On 5/9/2017 8:51 AM, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

> On 09/05/2017 16:29, Chris Wilson wrote:

>>> Well I did write in one of the following paragraphs on this topic.
>>> Perhaps I should have put it in procfs. :) Sysfs API looks
>>> restrictive or perhaps I missed a way to get low level (fops) access
>>> to it.

>>> Off case are three no-op instructions in three places in the irq
>>> tasklet. And a little bit of object size growth, if you worry about
>>> that aspect?
>>
>> It's just how the snowball begins.
>
> We should be able to control it. We also have to consider which one is
> lighter for this particular use case.

>>> How does that work? Via periodic sampling? Accuracy sounds like it
>>> would be proportionate to the sampling frequency, no?
>>
>> Right, and the sampling frequency is under user control (via perf) with
>> a default of around 1000, gives a small systematic error when dealing
>> with %
>>
>> I included power, interrupts, rc6, frequency (and the statistics but I
>> never used those and dropped them once oa landed), as well as
>> utilisation, just for the convenience of having sane interface :)
>
> Can you resurrect those patches? Don't have to rebase and all but I
> would like to see them at least.
Mind that the idea behind the requested kind of stats is primary usage
by the customers in the _product_ environment to track GPU occupancy and
predict based on this stats whether they can execute something else.
Which means that 1) debugfs and any kind of debug-like infrastructure is
really a no-option, 2) any kind of restrictions are no-option (like
disable RC6 states). Also, there is no need to expose low-level detailed
information like how many EUs and VMEs were in use - this belongs to the
debug things. As for now i915 driver exposes only single required
metric: gt_act_freq_mhz.