[Intel-gfx] [QUERY] How many CI mails is too many?

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 28 09:50:05 UTC 2017

On 27/11/2017 14:54, Arkadiusz Hiler wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> For some time already CI sends out 1-2 mails per series per (re)run, i.e. BAT
> results and "full IGT" results (if BAT has not failed).
>
> Recently we have added 32bit build check, and if that fails it sends out
> additional mail In-Reply-To the series.
>
> I am working on adding some static checks to the CI (spare and checkpatch at the
> moment, more may come in the future), which may generate even more commotion on
> the mailing list.
>
> How much of CI noise is too much and how you would like to have the results
> grouped?
>
> Couple of options to start the discussion:
>
>   1. Group all static checks (and the 32bit build?) into one mail:
>      - just one additional mail,
>      - may be hard to read in case of catastrophic failure,
>      - we can send it only when something actually fails.
>
>   2. Send out the results as a part of BAT results:
>      - even less noise than (1),
>      - BAT results already feel cluttered, this may decrease readability.
>
>   3. Have each check as a separate mail, but send it only if the check fails:
>      - noisy: may result in many mails, depending how many checks fail,
>      - easier to read and easier to follow on patchwork.

Option 3 sounds good to me.

I don't see it as noisy - if something fails a dedicated notification is
in order, and since it gets assigned into a respective thread by the
MUA, the noise is minimal. And you only see self-inflicted noise, unless
you don't use threading, or are keeping all the threads expanded, which
is already non-workable to start with.

Regards,

Tvrtko