[Intel-gfx] [RFC i-g-t 0/6] Drop tests for object creation from stolen

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Oct 3 08:31:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 02, 2017 at 04:00:12PM -0700, Daniele Ceraolo Spurio wrote:
> The tests were merged before the feature, which never made it to the
> driver; the last update I could find ([1]) is more than a year old.
> The tests are using a wrong getparam number and planned extensions
> to the gem_create and get_aperture ioctl structures that don't match
> what's currently in i915. Due to this all stolen-related subtests are
> skipping.
> Given the fact that there has been no traction behind the feature for
> a long time it doesn't look like we'll need those tests anytime soon
> and thus it makes sense to remove them.
>
> The patches didn't revert cleanly and also contained some improvements
> that are worth keeping, so instead of a revert I've organized the removal
> in a single patch per test file to drop only the unneeded code.
>
> [1] https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/659/
>
> Cc: Ankitprasad Sharma <ankitprasad.r.sharma at intel.com>
> Cc: Petri Latvala <petri.latvala at intel.com>
> Cc: Arkadiusz Hiler <arkadiusz.hiler at intel.com>
> Cc: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>
> Cc: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>

Ack from my side on the entire series. Merging stuff before the kernel
side has landed is a good way to piss of Dave Airlie. Yes CI right now
doesn't support testing both a kernel and an igt branch at the same time,
so not that useful for testing new features. It's on the list, but then CI
is primarily about preventing regressions, not so much about making sure
new stuff works perfectly out of the box (would be good too ofc).
-Daniel

> Daniele Ceraolo Spurio (6):
>   tests/gem_pread: drop stolen memory related subtests
>   tests/gem_pwrite: drop stolen memory related subtests
>   tests/gem_create: drop stolen memory related subtest
>   tests/gem_stolen: drop gem_stolen.c
>   tests/gem_concurrent_all: drop stolen memory related subtests
>   lib/ioctl_wrappers: drop stolen memory related wrappers
>
>  lib/ioctl_wrappers.c       | 119 ------------
>  lib/ioctl_wrappers.h       |  16 --
>  tests/Makefile.sources     |   1 -
>  tests/gem_concurrent_all.c |  35 ----