[Intel-gfx] drm/i915/gvt: Use common error handling code in shadow_workload_ring_buffer()

Garry Hurley garry.hurley.jr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 13:54:58 UTC 2017

Markus,

I normally keep quiet on threads like this. I half agree with you. Yes, perhaps a reportError function would be a good idea, but it seems that what you are suggesting is trading an inline subroutine call for a spaghetti-code vondition. The goto is used only if you do not have any code that follows, and what you are taking out is a function call that DOES return execution flow to the calling block. You are replacing it with a goto call which does not return execution flow. The risks of process termination during a goto call make it a bad idea. In this case, the subroutine call is the right move. If the reuse of the error message bothers you, perhaps it is a good candidate for a static string definition, so that if it is changed it can be changed in one location in the code. The tradeoff there is that the static string definition will eat a few bytes of memory from the variable storage. Just my perspective. I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone