[Intel-gfx] [RFC 00/17] Per-context and per-client engine busyness

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 07:51:33 UTC 2017

Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2017-10-26 08:34:24)

> On 25/10/2017 18:38, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Quoting Chris Wilson (2017-10-25 16:47:13)
> >> Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2017-10-25 16:36:15)
>
> >> I've prototyped a quick demo of intel-client-top which produces output like:
> >>
> >>      neverball[  6011]:  rcs0:  41.01%  bcs0:   0.00%  vcs0:   0.00%  vecs0:   0.00%
> >>           Xorg[  5664]:  rcs0:  31.16%  bcs0:   0.00%  vcs0:   0.00%  vecs0:   0.00%
> >>          xfwm4[  5727]:  rcs0:   0.00%  bcs0:   0.00%  vcs0:   0.00%  vecs0:   0.00%
> >
> > +1
> > +2 for a graph ;)
>
> Where are those placement students when you need them! :)

> >> ctx->pid can be misleading, as it set on creation, but the context can
> >> be transferred over fd to the real client. (Typically that applies to
> >> the default context, 0.)
> > > Ok, I see that you update the pid when a new context is created. Still
> > have the likes of libva that may use DRI3 without creating a context
> > itself.
>
> Hm, how rude of the protocol to provide this anonymization service!
>
> I guess I could update on submission as well and then there is no escape.

(Just make it conditional; a pid per request was one of the low hanging
expenses. In general, I'd rather not use pid here as ctx is our
encapsulation, but meh, it's a tid vs pid debate. Answer is usually both
and which to use depends on circumstance.)

> > Back to the general niggle; I really would like to avoid adding custom
> > i915 interfaces for this, that should be a last resort if we can find no
> > way through e.g. perf.
>
> I certainly plan to investigate adding pid filtering to the PMU. It is
> supposed to be possible but I haven't tried it yet. Also not sure if it
> will be exactly suitable for a top like tool. Will see if I manage to have
> it working.
>
> But what do you say about the simple per-context API (patch 13)? Do you
> find using ctx get param for this acceptable or you can think of a different
> way?

Certainly not with a struct_mutex! ;)

I can see a parallel to sysinfo for GETPARAM and getrusage for context.
We probably want to plan for more than just accumulated gputime though.
(An extensible struct?) So yes, if you have something that wants to
monitor themselves, we will just have to bite the bullet.