[Intel-gfx] Intel-gfx related suspend-to-ram issues on IBM R31

Thomas Richter thorfdbg at t-online.de
Fri Sep 22 22:24:10 UTC 2017

Hi Ville,

Thanks for the pointers. However, which branch of mesa does this

> drm-tip + https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/176870/

patch apply to? I assume it is the intel-drm-nightly? Tried that,
without success. While the 4.9.xx reaches at least S1, this one gets
stuck earlier, with or without the patch.

> works rather
> well on my 830 machine (Fujitu-Siemens Lifebook S6010). Without that
> things gets stuck on account of vblank interrupts getting disabled at
> random times. Xonotic has been pretty good at reproducing that bug for
> me. Apart from that S3 works, S4 works, never tried S1 and probably
> never will since I have S3 ;)

Well, you forget that the IBM R31 "made by Acer" has a quite buggy bios
compared to the Fujitsu. Unfortunately, my S6010 died about two years
ago, a very nice machine for its age, actually. The R31 never woke up
from S3, the Fujitsu did from the 4.1.38 kernel. The same kernel worked
only for S1, though Win XP seems to manage it on the same hardware.

> There are some bugs in Mesa though. One at least (a missing workaround)
> can cause the GPU to die. I think the current upstream Mesa doesn't hit
> it very reliably because it inlines the vertex data into the batch.
> I've been working on making it use vertex buffers instead, and I think
> that made me hit it more reliably. I have a pile of patches for Mesa
> that I need to clean up at some point. In the meantime here's the diff
> for that one fix (probably won't apply as is since I have it sitting
> on top a pile of other stuff atm):

Sorry, again the same question: I checked the head branch, but there the
functions look quite different. I tried to tweak it in, there seems to
be the same sort of misalingment issue, but it's really not the same
structure. With the modifications below "fiddled in", I do not see much
of of a difference.

Thanks and greetings,

Thomas