[Intel-gfx] uABI / Removing DRM_I915_LOW_LEVEL_TRACEPOINTS Kconfig

Pierre-Loup A. Griffais pgriffais at valvesoftware.com
Tue Dec 18 18:14:49 UTC 2018

On 12/18/18 3:33 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Quoting Michael Sartain (2018-12-18 01:26:03)
>> I'm writing to try and make a case for Tvrtko's "Remove
>> DRM_I915_LOW_LEVEL_TRACEPOINTS Kconfig" patch:
>>
>>    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2018-June/169052.html
>
> I'd recommend we just remove the tracepoints as in the very near future
> we will break them and the outlook seems bleak that we can support the
> same information in the future.

Is it due to moving to a more async (or HW-assisted) submission model?
If so, I assume/hope there's still a way to reflect on when things
completed after the fact? You could still emit tracepoints at the time
when that becomes known, with the time delta marked in the tracepoint
itself. gpuvis supports this, but the syntax it currently uses for it
isn't necessarily important. There's not much value in looking at these
tracepoints fly by in realtime, so being deferred a bit works well for
all scenarios where examining a GPU scheduling trace is useful.