[Intel-gfx] sad output names

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at intel.com
Wed Jul 25 16:20:18 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 03:37:52AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Asus B250 LGA 1151 (Kaby Lake) Motherboard (4 total physical video outputs):
> https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-C-CSM/
>
> G4600 HD Graphics 630 CPU
>
> Server 1.20.0 (openSUSE Tumbleweed)
>
> kernel 4.17.4
>
> Xorg driver: modesetting
>
> Xrandr		Actual Cable
> Reports		Connectors
> DP-1		DisplayPort
> HDMI-1		----
> HDMI-2		HDMI
> HDMI-3		DVI
> DP-2		VGA

I understand your concern, but  as you can see there are adaptors involved
here and they are decided by manufactures. From the driver perspective the
protocol is the most important part, but that gets sometimes really bad for
the users, I know.

Honestly I don't know if there's a way to detect the presence of adapters
like this DP to VGA for instance. I don't think so.

Afaik on HDMI-DP with LSPCON we do some tweak on the names to avoid
showing a misleading information, but that's is the further we can go I'm afraid...