[Intel-gfx] sad output names

Paulo Zanoni paulo.r.zanoni at intel.com
Wed Jul 25 20:07:39 UTC 2018

Em Qua, 2018-07-25 às 09:20 -0700, Rodrigo Vivi escreveu:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 03:37:52AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> > Asus B250 LGA 1151 (Kaby Lake) Motherboard (4 total physical video
> > outputs):
> > https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-C-CSM/
> >
> > G4600 HD Graphics 630 CPU
> >
> > Server 1.20.0 (openSUSE Tumbleweed)
> >
> > kernel 4.17.4
> >
> > Xorg driver: modesetting
> >
> > Xrandr		Actual Cable
> > Reports		Connectors
> > DP-1		DisplayPort
> > HDMI-1		----
> > HDMI-2		HDMI
> > HDMI-3		DVI
> > DP-2		VGA
>
> I understand your concern, but  as you can see there are adaptors
> involved
> here and they are decided by manufactures. From the driver
> perspective the
> protocol is the most important part, but that gets sometimes really
> bad for
> the users, I know.
>
> Honestly I don't know if there's a way to detect the presence of
> adapters
> like this DP to VGA for instance. I don't think so.
>
> Afaik on HDMI-DP with LSPCON we do some tweak on the names to avoid
> showing a misleading information, but that's is the further we can go
> I'm afraid...
>

> > Is there anything with kernel, xrandr, driver, server (or other?)
> > that might be
> > changed to better associate the connector names to the actual
> > connector types?
> > Is this a motherboard firmware shortcoming?

Keep in mind that due to adapters, the actual cable connected to a
certain port may change over time, and our Kernel connector names are
fixed.

The most user friendly thing apps can do is to read monitor information
(from EDID) and display that to the user. For example, I see my desktop
environment says I have "Acer Technologies 27"" and "Laptop" (and it
even displays which one is which). I don't even need to care if the
monitor is connected through HDMI or DP: all I have to know is what I
can see (the monitor itself).