[Intel-gfx] [RFC 4/7] drm/i915: Remove mkwrite_device_info

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 13 09:16:37 UTC 2018

On 12/11/2018 17:25, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2018-11-12 17:12:39)
>> From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>
>>
>> Now that we are down to one caller, which does not even modify copied
>> device info, we can remove the mkwrite_device_info helper and convert the
>> device info pointer itself to be a pointer to static table instead of a
>> copy.
>
> The copy was deliberate to avoid the extra pointer. How does the change
> in code size now compare?

AFAIR grows a bit, but overall series still ends up overall smaller. I
need to re-run the numbers for more concrete info.

However, if we keep having a copy, ie. do not make device info properly
read-only, are we still interested in splitting the two? Benefit would
be diminished, but presumably people still think it would be worth it?

Regards,

Tvrtko