[Intel-gfx] [RFC 4/7] drm/i915: Remove mkwrite_device_info

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 13 17:33:38 UTC 2018

On 13/11/2018 11:51, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Quoting Jani Nikula (2018-11-13 11:45:02)
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>> From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>
>>>
>>> Now that we are down to one caller, which does not even modify copied
>>> device info, we can remove the mkwrite_device_info helper and convert the
>>> device info pointer itself to be a pointer to static table instead of a
>>> copy.
>>>
>>> Only unfortnate thing is that we need to convert all callsites which were
>>> referencing the device info directly to using the INTEL_INFO helper.
>>
>> I'm not sure if that's all that bad. When I was toying around with
>> mkwrite_device_info removal, I actually started off with changing all
>> device info references to INTEL_INFO. It's a big patch, but it nicely
>> centralizes many of the other changes instead of splattering all over
>> the place.
>
> Fwiw, replacing all the static i915->info accesses with INTEL_INFO (or
> DEVICE_INFO since STATIC_INFO I think is too confusing with C, and
> INTEL_INFO is not distinct enough from RUNTIME_INFO) is perhaps a

You propose DEVICE_INFO for the static part and RUNTIME_INFO for
dynamic, all with INTEL_ prefix?

> pre-requisite for single platform DCE. Along the lines of
> 	#define INTEL_INFO(i915) (&skylake_gt3_info)

Definitely, and I think this patch changed them all. There weren't that
many.

We also need to minimize the runtime portion for best DCE results. But
AFAIR it was quite good already with just IS_GEN and IS_PLATFORM changes
and not even LTO.

Regards,

Tvrtko