[Intel-gfx] ✗ Fi.CI.BAT: failure for series starting with [v2,1/3] drm/i915/guc: init GuC descriptors after GuC load

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 06:29:23 UTC 2018

Quoting Daniele Ceraolo Spurio (2018-10-03 23:45:02)

> On 03/10/18 08:24, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Quoting Daniele Ceraolo Spurio (2018-10-03 01:12:57)

> >> Those failures are there even without my patches (see
> >> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/40112/). Is there an existing
> >> bugzilla? In the meantime, I'll have a look to see if I can find what's
> >> causing this.
> >
> > inject_preempt_context() fails when talking to the guc, catastrophe
> > ensues. As shown above it's quite reliable after a fake suspend/resume,
> > but it also happens during normal preemption (the preemption smoketest
> > was added to exercise this issue).
> > -Chris
> >

> Do you consider this a blocker to getting the patches merged?
>
> BTW, on my SKL even with the preemption smoketest I didn't see any issue
> on the tree I based the patches on (from Monday) and I only see issues
> after:
>
> b16c765122f987056e1dc9ef6c214571bb5bd694 is the first bad commit
> commit b16c765122f987056e1dc9ef6c214571bb5bd694
> Author: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
> Date:   Mon Oct 1 15:47:53 2018 +0100
>
>      drm/i915: Priority boost for new clients
>
> However I don't get any error logs out (the machine just dies) so not
> sure if it is the same issue or not. with that patch and the 2 following
> related ones reverted I've been running the live selftests in a loop
> without issues. Is this the bug you mentioned or are those possibly 2
> different issues?

Possibly different, but unlikely since it's still the preemption that is
at the root cause. smoketest fails for me on bxt/kbl, either starting at
a timeout waiting for the preemption report, or the failure to send the
guc command. The difference with live_gem + preemption I think is all in
the timing, in that it tries to do a very early preemption, shortly
after the fw is loaded.

If you are confident that these are the patches you want, done.