[Intel-gfx] [v3 0/7] Add Multi Segment Gamma Support

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at intel.com
Wed Apr 17 11:57:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 09:28:19AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 03:50:56PM +0530, Uma Shankar wrote:
> > This series adds support for programmable gamma modes and
> > exposes a property interface for the same. Also added,
> > support for multi segment gamma mode introduced in ICL+
> >
> > It creates GAMMA_MODE property interface. This is an enum
> > property with values as blob_id's and exposes
> > the various gamma modes supported and the lut ranges  Getting the
> > blob id in userspace, user can get the mode supported and
> > also the range of gamma mode supported with number of lut
> > coefficients. It can then set one of the modes using this
> > enum property.
> >
> > Lut values will be sent through already available GAMMA_LUT
> > blob property.
> >
> > It also introduces a CLIENT CAP for advanced GAMMA_MODE.
> >  This is for user to set the and use advance gamma mode and older
> > userspace can continue using the legacy paths.
> >
> > v2: Used Ville's design and approach to define the interfaces.
> > Addressed Matt Roper's review feedback and re-ordered the
> > patches.
> >
> > v3: Converged to 1 property interface and introduced a Client cap
> > as suggested by Ville. Fixed review comments received.
> >
> > Uma Shankar (5):
> >   drm/i915/icl: Add register definitions for Multi Segmented gamma
> >   drm/i915/icl: Add support for multi segmented gamma mode
> >   drm/i915: Attach gamma mode property
> >   drm: Add Client Cap for advance gamma mode
> >   drm/i915: Enable advance gamma mode
> >
> > Ville Syrjälä (2):
> >   drm: Add gamma mode property
> >   drm/i915: Define color lut range structure
>
> Bunch of higher level comments after some internal discussions:
>
> - we need the userspace for this, can't design new uapi without involving
>   the compositor folks for hdr.
>
> - single property doesn't work: Once userspace has set it, the old blob
>   property with the list of all options is gone. We need one read-only
>   property for the list of options, plus a 2nd property that userspace can
>   set. This is a general rule for more complex properties, where the usual
>   property metadata isn't enough to describe the possible options.

I guess no one understood my blob_enum idea? It's an enum where each
possible value is a blob. The only thing that changes is the current
value (which can only point to one of the enumerated blobs).

> - no caps for properties. Yes that gives us a theoretical problem, no in
>   practice it doesn't matter, since people don't even care enough to make
>   e.g. fbdev resetting work today for everything. Long form discussion,
>   see here:
>
>   https://blog.ffwll.ch/2016/01/vt-switching-with-atomic-modeset.html
>
>   Nothing happened in this area ever since I typed this up, so I guess
>   it's really not a real-world concern.
>
> - Simplest path forward would be if we accept different LUT sizes than the
>   one advertised (we already do that for legacy gamma, and this is
>   officially what we had in mind too), and the kernel automatically picks
>   the best lut configuration. Will be somewhat awkard for the
>   multi-segment lut, but would decouple the uapi discussion a bit.

It'll be ridiculously wasteful. IIRC we need a LUT with 32768 entries,
and then ~98% of those gets thrown away and never programmed to the
hardware.

> - Frankly the uapi proposed looks like fake generic - it tries to model
>   all possibilities in a generic way, when really userspace needs to have
>   special code for special pipelines.

I think it can be used pretty easily. Userspace just has to decide
whether it wants a straight up LUT or whether an interpolated curve
is enough, and how much precision it needs. For x11 the logic would
be simple enough: 1. look for straight up LUT with num_entries >= 1<<bpc,
if that isn't found fall back to an interpolated curve with >= 1<<bpc
precision, and finally just fall back to whatever gives the best
results I suppose.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel