[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915/tgl: Advanced preparser support for GPU relocs

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 15:10:48 UTC 2019

Quoting Daniele Ceraolo Spurio (2019-08-23 16:05:45)

> On 8/23/19 7:26 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Quoting Chris Wilson (2019-08-23 08:27:25)
> >> Quoting Daniele Ceraolo Spurio (2019-08-23 03:09:09)

> >> Well, our ABI is that memory is coherent before the breadcrumb of *each*
> >> batch. That is a fundamental requirement for our signaling to userspace.
> >> Please tell me that there is a context flag to turn this off, or we else
> >> we need to emit 32x flushes or whatever it takes.
> >
> Are you referring to the specific case where we have a request modifying
> an object that is then used as a batch in the next request? Because
> coherency of objects that are not executed as batches is not impacted.

"Fetches across memory sync" sounds like a major ABI break. The batches
are a hard serialisation barrier, with memory coherency guaranteed prior
to the signaling at the end of one batch and clear caches guaranteed at
the start of the next.

There is mutterings for a weaker mode, the above is our existing
contract. There is nothing special about the relocation code, it is
assuming our contract holds.