[Intel-gfx] Plans for i915 GuC Submission with regards to IPTS/ME

Maximilian Luz luzmaximilian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 12:24:59 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 12/23/19 7:55 PM, Daniele Ceraolo Spurio wrote:
> If you only care about gen9, a possible solution would be to
> forward-port just the old GuC submission (instead of the whole i915)
> from a know working kernel. It shouldn't be too bad since the GuC code
> is relatively self-contained, but given the speed at which our
> submission code evolves there might be issue in the interactions
> between the old GuC code and the other parts of the submission flow.

Right, we may have to look at that. We're currently looking into a
non-GuC workaround as there doesn't seem to be any OpenCL kernels for
the Surface Pro 7/Surface Laptop 3 devices (that's another issue...),
but we will keep that in mind for the older devices.

> No idea about the details of what goes on on Windows. The firmware is
> OS-agnostic, but they might be using a different version compared to
> us, especially on older platforms.

Yeah, I suspect they're using older firmware on the older devices. Just
wanted to know if there's any special stuff on Windows. Given that the
newer devices (Pro 7/Laptop 3) don't seem to have any IPTS firmware at
all (OpenCL kernels etc.) could suggest that they might use a different
implementation (maybe non-GuC/no GPU processing), altough the IPTS
driver still seems to be in use.

Thank you for sharing your insights, this has really helped us.

Regards,
Maximilian