[Intel-gfx] i915 module results in total lockups without any dmesg trace on a NP900X5N Kaby Lake machine

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 2 07:34:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019, Jan Vlietland <j.vlietland at nisi.nl> wrote:
> First of all happy new year. Based on advice of Greg K-H herewith a mail
> about my continuous (frustrating) issue with my laptop.
>
> I installed various Kali linux versions up to Linux 4.20.0-rc7
> (downloaded, compiled and installed) on a Samsung NP900X5N laptop and
> have an issue with the driver after loading.

Please file a bug at [1], add drm.debug=14 module parameter, attach
dmesg from boot to desktop to the bug. If you can ssh into the machine
and get a dmesg after the screen goes black, great, but if not, let's
start with that.

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=DRI&component=DRM/Intel

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center