[Intel-gfx] Forced push done to drm-intel-next-queued

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 11:46:50 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 15-01-19 10:56, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 04:24:51PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> It happens, don't worry about it. Thanks for being open about it instead
>>> of trying to brush it under the rug.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>> Did you pass -f to dim? I suspect drm-tip wouldn't pass the push checks
>>> in dim without it. Perhaps we'll need to add more.
>>
>> No I did not pass -f, I did wonder myself how the push managed to
>> proceed after my screw-up. Looking at how dim builds drm-tip, it seems
>> it starts with dinq and then merges in other branches, so a push
>> from a drm-tip based branch to dinq is a fast-forward (I think),
>> so dinq is special in this case.
>
> Do you still have the git tree you've pushed wrongly and could publish it
> somewhere? I'm suprised that dim push didn't catch this, we've added a few
> more sanity checks last time around this happened. I'd have expected dim
> to complain about all the patches lacking you're signed-off-by, since a
> rebase would have changed a lot of patches to be committed by you.

I'm afraid I don't have that tree around anymore. What I did was I accidentally
rebased the 2 patches I wanted to push on top of drm-tip, so I pushed the
last drm-tip push (including the integration manifest) with my 2 patches on top.

So I pushed the latest unmodified state of drm-tip and none of the patches
in there were re-commited by me during the rebase.

Basically what I believe I pushed is a fast-forward from dinq to drm-tip +
the 2 patches I intended to push.

I even did a gitk before pushing to graphically check what I was pushing
(I always do this) and I saw my 2 patches on top of a remote branch, which
looked fine. What I did not notice it was the wrong remote and the wrong
branch. This is something which I've learned to also check now.

One check which I believe would have caught this is checking there are no
merge-commits in what is being pushed and require some commandline option
to override this for special cases.

Regards,

Hans