[Intel-gfx] Graphics issue after upgrade from Fedora 28 to 29 - multiple mouse cursor icons

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Mon Jul 1 14:58:47 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 04:20:45PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01-07-19 15:32, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 04:23:47PM +0200, Przemysław Hołubowski wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> immediately after I have upgraded my system from Fedora 28 x64 to 29
> >> graphics' issue started. Mouse leaves a trail composed of multiple
> >> blinking cursors and sometimes rectangular not-refreshed parts. The more
> >> loaded the system is the more pronounced the issue - the longer the
> >> trail. It's enough just to start moving mouse when system is idle and no
> >> app was started by the user yet, to trigger the issue.
> >> My system is based on Intel Celeron J3160 with integrated graphics
> >> (8086:22b1). Before upgrade to Fedora 29 the issue did not occur.
> >> Recently I’ve upgraded to Fedora 30 x64. The issue remains. I use XFCE
> >> as a desktop.
> >
> > You need a fresh intel ddx (commit 6afed33b2d67 ("sna: Switch
> > back to hwcursor on the next cursor update") in particular). That
> > should make the problem less pronounced at least, due to switching
> > back to the hw cursor from the sw cursor a bit more greedily.
>
> Hmm, most distros (Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu) have switched to using
> the modesetting driver for newer intel iGPU-s (see below for why).
>
> I guess that what happens is the kernel refuses a cursor related
> syscall and then the ddx drops back to the sw-cursor? Any simple
> reproduction instructions? (I have plenty of Cherry Trail hw to
> test with).

Just plug something into HDMI/DP port D and move the mouse cursor
to the left edge of the screen. As mentioned usually if the machine
has a HDMI port it is unfortunately on port D. See kernel commit
ef8dd37af85a ("drm/i915: Workaround CHV pipe C cursor fail")
for further detail.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel