[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/8] Display uncore

Daniele Ceraolo Spurio daniele.ceraolospurio at intel.com
Thu Jun 6 21:52:09 UTC 2019

Very rough RFC on splitting GT and display register access to give an
idea of what I was aiming at since this came back into discussion on
IRC.

The first few patches are mainly cleanup and reduction of the usage of
uncore_to_i915. I originally planned to kill uncore_to_i915 entirely
but I see more users are appearing in patches in flight so I've dropped
the removal patch and added an hack to the function ot handle 2 uncores
(yes, I really really want to avoid getting a pointer to i915!).

I'm not convinced in regard to the mmio_debug implementation (patch 5),
so if people think this split make sense any feedback in that area is
welcome. Any feedback in other areas is obviously just as welcome.

The last patch is an example of adaptation for the HDMI code.

Suggested-by: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
Cc: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
Cc: Ville Syrjälä <ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com>

Daniele Ceraolo Spurio (8):
  drm/i915: use vfuncs for reg_read/write_fw_domains
  drm/i915: kill uncore_sanitize
  drm/i915: dynamically allocate forcewake domains
  drm/i915: explicitly prune forcewake domain
  drm/i915: split out uncore_mmio_debug
  drm/i915: drop forcewake_user_get/put
  drm/i915: introduce display_uncore
  drm/i915: move intel_hdmi to de_uncore

 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_debugfs.c          |  19 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c              |  31 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h              |   8 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_device_info.c     |   4 +
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_hdmi.c            | 275 +++++-----
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_uncore.c          | 507 +++++++++----------
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_uncore.h          |  55 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/selftests/mock_uncore.c |   4 +-

2.20.1