[Intel-gfx] Time for execbuf3 ?

Lionel Landwerlin lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com
Tue Mar 19 16:39:52 UTC 2019

Hi all,

There are couple of extensions coming up for our userspace drivers
(anv/i965) where we need to add additional parameters to execbuf :

    - VK_KHR_timeline_semaphore : supplying u64 points together with
    syncobjs [1]
    - a non public piece of work related to performance counters [2] :
    supplying a performance configuration ID to reconfigure the
    performance HW

Recently some discussions on IRC also highlighted the need for better
reporting of execbuf failure.
We have a number of bugs where execbuf fails after a number of hours
running an application or some random conditions and it's almost
impossible to figure out where the problem lies.
Having a way for i915 to report what validation the input parameters
actually fail would more helpful than EINVAL.

Some of the virtual engine stuff could also fit in there but maybe the
timeline is too tight for that.

We've added a i915_query mechanism that is easily extendable and after
exposing topology, it seems to be useful for adding other types of
queries (engine discovery, memory regions and the series in [2] also
exposes performance query configuration data).

I would really like to see a similar mechanism for an execbuf3.
How can we help getting started in that direction?
Do people have a better idea?

Thanks,

-Lionel

[1] :