[Intel-gfx] Does the i915 VBT tell us if a panel is an OLED panel?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Oct 10 12:46:05 UTC 2019

Hi Jani,

During plumbers I had some discussions with Daniel about supporting
OLED screens. Userspace may need to know that a panel is OLED for 2
reasons:

1) To avoid screen burn-in
2) OLED screens do not have a classic backlight, so in some cases
some sort of brightness/contrast emulation through gamma tables may
be necessary to still allow the user to control the brightness.

The idea we've discussed is to add a property on the drm_connector
(details to be filled in) which indicates that the panel is an OLED
panel.

This has lead to the question: "how do we know the panel is OLED"?

Do you know if this info is coded into the VBT somewhere?

Regards,

Hans