[Intel-gfx] RFC: pipe writeback design for i915

Shankar, Uma uma.shankar at intel.com
Wed Feb 12 05:22:54 UTC 2020

This will be useful even for all color validation and various other tests where due to pipe precision
and interpolation we don't have exact matches wrt crc's. Currently Chamelium comes as a savior,
but this limits to boards where we have this external hardware. This will help make things
not depend on availability of Chamelium in CI.
From IGT side, changes will be needed to enable this and migrate the respective tests, make them
use writeback dumps and compare.

Another advantage will be definitely in debugging, root causing the real culprits. If things are going
bad at port or pipe itself. In all this, we do get the real thing working i.e. a wireless display 😊 (rest of the stack
will need to be enabled but display side we will get our stuff enabled)

Regards,
Uma Shankar