[Intel-gfx] RFC: pipe writeback design for i915

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 31 10:55:45 UTC 2020

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020, "Bharadiya,Pankaj" <pankaj.laxminarayan.bharadiya at intel.com> wrote:
> I am exploring the way of implementing the pipe writeback feature in i915 and
> would like to get early feedback on design.
>
> We have a Wireless display(WD) transcoder which can be used for capturing
> display pipe output to memory. It is generally intended for wireless display,
> but can be used for other functions such as in validation automation where crc
> based comparison is not feasible.

I think you should probably explore the use case and driver/igt impact
further before embarking on the implementation.

- How much do you need to modify existing code in kernel and igt to make
  use of writeback connectors?

- What kind of test coverage do you get? Pipe CRC is used in connection
  with the physical encoders. In contrast, you won't have that with WD
  transcoders. (Design wise I think this may mean you'll also need
  "writeback encoders", instead of trying to plug it into existing
  encoders.) So you'll only test the pipe side of things, which roughly
  corresponds to pipe CRC coverage I guess. I guess it could speed up
  that part of testing because you can then skip the physical
  connectors, but you do have to test them also. So it's not a panacea.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center