[Intel-gfx] [RFC 33/60] drm/i915/lmem: support pwrite

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 00:43:09 UTC 2020

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 00:35, Matthew Auld <matthew.auld at intel.com> wrote:

> On 13/07/2020 06:09, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 22:00, Matthew Auld <matthew.auld at intel.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> We need to add support for pwrite'ing an LMEM object.
> >
> > why? DG1 is a discrete GPU, these interfaces we already gross and
> > overly hacky for integrated, I'd prefer not to drag them across into
> > discrete land.
> >
> > same goes for pread.
> >
> > You have no legacy userspace here, userspace needs change to support
> > LMEM, it can be fixed to avoid legacy ioctls paths.
>
> Ok, there have also been similar discussions internally in the past. I
> think one of the reasons was around IGT, and how keeping the
> pread/pwrite interface meant slightly less pain, also it's not much
> effort to implement for LMEM. If this is a NACK, then I guess the other
> idea was to somehow fallback to mmap and update IGT accordingly.

I just don't think we should have internal kernel interfaces for
mapping ram in the kernel address space, seems pointless, makes less
sense with a discrete GPU in the mix, so yes I think NAK for
pread/pwrite at least at this time.

I'd also like to see a hard no relocs policy for DG1 enforced in the kernel.

Dave.