[Intel-gfx] DG1 VRAM question

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:27:51 UTC 2020

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 03:17, Daniele Ceraolo Spurio
<daniele.ceraolospurio at intel.com> wrote:

> On 6/26/20 12:14 AM, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
> > Cc Matt and Daniele
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 9:38 PM Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I can't figure this out easily so I'd thought I'd just ask, but does
> >> DG1 have VRAM > PCIE aperture, I'm not sure I've see any mention of
> >
> > We'd need to go via lmem since there's no mappable aperture. There are
> > a few patches in tree for that
> > (see e.g. 54b512cd7a6d ("drm/i915: do not map aperture if it is not
> > available.")) but more missing.
> >

> To clarify, although the legacy aperture mapping that allowed the CPU to
> access memory via the GGTT for swizzling is gone, VRAM/LMEM is still
> cpu-mappable via pci bar.
> Will leave the questions about possible trashing to Matt as he's more
> familiar than me with how this works.

Matt?

Is DG1 assuming we can get 64-bit BARs always and the CPU will have
access to the complete VRAM? or is there any ideas about what happens
in those situations where 64-bit BARs aren't available and there is
memory pressure on the PCI BAR space.

With other discrete GPUs we've got lots of things like visible VRAM
limitations, writing page tables with GPU hw instead of from the CPU,
having mapping bring things into the visible area, so you can stream
something into VRAM, but then it'll migrated to non-visible area if
it's unmapped and there is memory pressure.

Dave.