[Intel-gfx] refactor the i915 GVT support

Zhenyu Wang zhenyuw at linux.intel.com
Tue Aug 17 05:22:03 UTC 2021

On 2021.08.17 09:08:55 +0800, Zhenyu Wang wrote:
> On 2021.08.16 19:34:58 +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> > > I think Alex would determine when to merge open_device series, gvt part
> > > can be through vfio tree without problem. For this refactor, I would first
> > > merge for gvt staging to do more regression testing before sending through
> > > i915 tree.
> >
> > Any updates on this?  I'd really hate to miss this merge window.
>
> I'm still waiting for our validation team's report on this. I'm afraid
> it might be missing for next version as i915 merge window is mostly
> till rc5...and for any change outside of gvt, it still needs to be
> acked by i915 maintainers.

Looks our validation team did have problem against recent i915 change.
If you like to try, we have a gvt-staging branch on
https://github.com/intel/gvt-linux which is generated against drm-tip
with gvt changes for testing, currently it's broken.

One issue is with i915 export that intel_context_unpin has been
changed into static inline function. Another is that intel_gvt.c
should be part of i915 for gvt interface instead of depending on KVMGT
config.

But the problem I see is that after moving gvt device model (gvt/*.c
except kvmgt.c) into kvmgt module, we'll have issue with initial mmio
state which current gvt relies on, that is in design supposed to get
initial HW state before i915 driver has taken any operation.  Before
we can ensure that, I think we may only remove MPT part first but
still keep gvt device model as part of i915 with config. I'll try to
split that out.