[Intel-gfx] [bug report] drm/i915: Computer does not shutdown,

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 10:45:39 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 3/14/21 11:30 AM, Mario Hüttel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems, like the mailing list, didn't accept my email. So I'll send
> it again:
>
> I want to report a bug. I have a PC with Intel i7-6700K processor (with
> integrated graphics) and an AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 mainboard. I
> use the CPU's integrated graphics.
> My system is Archlinux with Kernel v5.11.6.
>
> Using this setup, my PC works normally. However, when I shut it down,
> the power is not cut. Fans keep spinning and LEDs stay on. I couldn't
> detect any other problem when shutting down. Drives etc. stop as
> expected and the video is blank. Even after waiting several hours, the
> system doesn't power down.
>
> Restarts work normally.
>
> I haven't yet found any other people on the internet that have the same
> bug.
>
> I used git bisect to find the commit that causes this behavior on my
> machine.

Thank you for doing a bisect that is always very helpful.

> The result is: fe0f1e3bfdfeb53e18f1206aea4f40b9bd1f291c is the
> first bad commit.

To save others the trouble of having to look up the hasj, that is:

"drm/i915: Shut down displays gracefully on reboot"

Which is the same commit as which I've reported is causing issues
with DSI panels not lighting up on reboots on some BYT/CHT devices.

Since this seems to mostly be intended to fix issues surrounding
DP MST stuff, maybe the graceful shutdown should only be done when
MST is in use?

Regards,

Hans