[Intel-gfx] Sparsely populated TTM bos

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Nov 19 17:06:26 UTC 2021

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 05:35:53PM +0100, Christian König wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Am 19.11.21 um 15:28 schrieb Thomas Hellström:
> > Hi, Christian,
> >
> > We have an upcoming use-case in i915 where one solution would be
> > sparsely populated TTM bos.
> >
> > We had that at one point where ttm_tt pages were allocated on demand,
> > but this time we'd rather be looking at multiple struct ttm_resources
> > per bo and those resources could be from different managers.
> >
> > There might theoretically be other ways we can handle this use-case but
> > I wanted to check with you whether this is something AMD is already
> > looking into and if not, your general opinion.
>
> oh, yes I've looked into this as well a very long time ago.
>
> At that point the basic blocker was that we couldn't have different cache
> setting for the same VMA, but I think that's fixed by now.

I think for cpu mmap we might just disallow them. Or we just migrate them
back into so that cpu access is always done in the same (or at least a
compatible) cache domain.

We can't really talk yet about what this thing is for, but "entire ttm_bo
cpu mmap must have same caching mode" shouldn't be a real limitation for
what we want to do here.

> Another thing is that you essentially need to move the LRU handling into the
> resource like I already planned to do anyway.

Yeah, hence why I suggested going ttm_bo : ttm_resource 1:N might be a
good idea in general, and we could piggy-pack on top of this. If you're
all on board then I guess we'll try to prototype something and maybe if
you're bored we could resurrect some of the patches to move lru/dma_resv
and whatever else from ttm_bo to ttm_resource? Just to see how much this
would impact.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch