[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/2] Compile out integrated

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Wed Feb 2 12:41:12 UTC 2022

On Wed, 02 Feb 2022, Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2022 11:20, Jani Nikula wrote:

>>> Clflush class of problems is yet another orthogonal set of problems.
>>>
>>> Yes, idea was that the Kconfig option would be selected by Arm, or
>>> deselected by x86, whatever. But there is also a case for letting it be
>>> user visible.
>>>
>>> In general, I thought at least, we should look into not
>>> building/deploying binary code for irrelevant hardware on Arm builds. If
>>> that is clear and agreeable then I think the approach how to get there
>>> is really multi-pronged.
>>>
>>> 1)
>>> What you are partly doing with "clflush" type series. Make Arm relevant
>>> code paths actually compile on Arm.
>>>
>>> 2a)
>>> What I sent in this series - it's simple/easy dead code elimination from
>>> a single compilation unit.
>>>
>>> 2b)
>>> *If* we resurrected GRAPHICS_VER check where "ver" is part of the macro,
>>> eg. not doing "if (GRAPHICS_VER <=> N)" but "if (GRAPHICS_VERN)", or "if
>>> IS_GRAPHICS_VER(N, FOREVER)", then the same approach would be more
>>> effective.
>>>
>>> Because if N or range is the macro parameter, we can make it dead code
>>> based on Kconfig.
>>>
>>> This is what I demonstrated few years ago by being able to compile out
>>> ~3rd of a driver when selecting only execlists platforms, AFAIR.
>>>
>>> And which is why I was a bit unhappy this was getting removed not so
>>> long ago.
>>
>> The main problem with that, as well as the Kconfig here, is maintenance.
>>
>> If it's fancy but unused, it's just added complexity for no benefit,
>> just the drawbacks. Every change needs to take the complexity into
>> account. If it's unused and untested, it's just going to bitrot anyway.
>>
>> For example, I think a config option for disabling igfx should have both
>> build and runtime testing in place before we should consider taking on
>> the burden of maintaining it. Otherwise it's just haphazard struggle,
>> and the burden falls on a handful of interested people working on it on
>> the side, occasionally fixing things as they break. And they'll break
>> because nobody else cares.
>>
>> If someone shows up and says i915.ko is too big, they need to be serious
>> enough to invest in maintaining the configurable size reductions, per
>> target platform.
>
> Yeah no disagreement for the most part.
>
> Whether there is a cheap way (as in maintenance/intrusiveness) which
> brings gains large enough.
>
> In my view it is also not a question of "too big" per se, but a question
> of professional pride of doing things properly, even if it is hard,
> instead of padding the binaries with dead code and sending them on
> rounds over the world, to "use electrons" unreachable on uncountable
> hypothetical customer machines and travel as updates over undersea
> cables for no use. :D Just because we, sitting on the source/upstream,
> decided it's too hard.

Well, not because it's too hard, but mostly because of picking the
battles? Also a matter of taste in what constitutes as professional
pride. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly?

But I guess we are, mostly, on the same page here.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center