[Intel-gfx] [RFC v3 1/3] drm/doc/rfc: VM_BIND feature design document

Niranjana Vishwanathapura niranjana.vishwanathapura at intel.com
Fri Jun 3 23:51:49 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 03, 2022 at 10:20:25AM +0300, Lionel Landwerlin wrote:
> [...]
>       >> fences in userspace?
>       >>
>       >
>       >My opinion is rework this but make the ordering via an engine param
>       optional.
>       >
>       >e.g. A VM can be configured so all binds are ordered within the VM
>       >
>       >e.g. A VM can be configured so all binds accept an engine argument
>       (in
>       >the case of the i915 likely this is a gem context handle) and binds
>       >ordered with respect to that engine.
>       >
>       >This gives UMDs options as the later likely consumes more KMD
>       resources
>       >so if a different UMD can live with binds being ordered within the VM
>       >they can use a mode consuming less resources.
>       >

>       I think we need to be careful here if we are looking for some out of
>       (submission) order completion of vm_bind/unbind.
>       In-order completion means, in a batch of binds and unbinds to be
>       completed in-order, user only needs to specify in-fence for the
>       first bind/unbind call and the our-fence for the last bind/unbind
>       call. Also, the VA released by an unbind call can be re-used by
>       any subsequent bind call in that in-order batch.
>
>       These things will break if binding/unbinding were to be allowed to
>       go out of order (of submission) and user need to be extra careful
>       not to run into pre-mature triggereing of out-fence and bind failing
>       as VA is still in use etc.
>
>       Also, VM_BIND binds the provided mapping on the specified address
>       space
>       (VM). So, the uapi is not engine/context specific.
>
>       We can however add a 'queue' to the uapi which can be one from the
>       pre-defined queues,
>       I915_VM_BIND_QUEUE_0
>       I915_VM_BIND_QUEUE_1
>       I915_VM_BIND_QUEUE_(N-1)
>
>       KMD will spawn an async work queue for each queue which will only
>       bind the mappings on that queue in the order of submission.
>       User can assign the queue to per engine or anything like that.
>
>       But again here, user need to be careful and not deadlock these
>       queues with circular dependency of fences.
>
>       I prefer adding this later an as extension based on whether it
>       is really helping with the implementation.
>
>     I can tell you right now that having everything on a single in-order
>     queue will not get us the perf we want.  What vulkan really wants is one
>     of two things:
>      1. No implicit ordering of VM_BIND ops.  They just happen in whatever
>     their dependencies are resolved and we ensure ordering ourselves by
>     having a syncobj in the VkQueue.
>      2. The ability to create multiple VM_BIND queues.  We need at least 2
>     but I don't see why there needs to be a limit besides the limits the
>     i915 API already has on the number of engines.  Vulkan could expose
>     multiple sparse binding queues to the client if it's not arbitrarily

Thanks Jason, Lionel.

Jason, what are you referring to when you say "limits the i915 API already
has on the number of engines"? I am not sure if there is such an uapi today.

I am trying to see how many queues we need and don't want it to be arbitrarily
large and unduely blow up memory usage and complexity in i915 driver.

>     Why?  Because Vulkan has two basic kind of bind operations and we don't
>     want any dependencies between them:
>      1. Immediate.  These happen right after BO creation or maybe as part of
>     vkBindImageMemory() or VkBindBufferMemory().  These don't happen on a
>     queue and we don't want them serialized with anything.  To synchronize
>     with submit, we'll have a syncobj in the VkDevice which is signaled by
>     all immediate bind operations and make submits wait on it.
>      2. Queued (sparse): These happen on a VkQueue which may be the same as
>     a render/compute queue or may be its own queue.  It's up to us what we
>     want to advertise.  From the Vulkan API PoV, this is like any other
>     queue.  Operations on it wait on and signal semaphores.  If we have a
>     VM_BIND engine, we'd provide syncobjs to wait and signal just like we do
>     in execbuf().
>     The important thing is that we don't want one type of operation to block
>     on the other.  If immediate binds are blocking on sparse binds, it's
>     going to cause over-synchronization issues.
>     In terms of the internal implementation, I know that there's going to be
>     a lock on the VM and that we can't actually do these things in
>     parallel.  That's fine.  Once the dma_fences have signaled and we're

Thats correct. It is like a single VM_BIND engine with multiple queues
feeding to it.

>     unblocked to do the bind operation, I don't care if there's a bit of
>     synchronization due to locking.  That's expected.  What we can't afford
>     to have is an immediate bind operation suddenly blocking on a sparse
>     operation which is blocked on a compute job that's going to run for
>     another 5ms.

As the VM_BIND queue is per VM, VM_BIND on one VM doesn't block the VM_BIND
on other VMs. I am not sure about usecases here, but just wanted to clarify.

Niranjana