[Intel-gfx] i915 w/5.19: wild flickering glitching technicolor pyrotechnics on resumption from suspend

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Wed Jun 8 21:31:47 UTC 2022

Hi,

Using the i7-11850H's iGPU, when I wake my Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4
from suspend on 5.19-rc1, the display shows wild flickering with
strobing colors and more artifacts than real pixels in an utter
disaster explosion of pantone, as though bombs were dropped on the
leprechauns at the base of the rainbow. That sounds ridiculous, but
the strobing pattern really is a sight to be seen.

I can only stop it by rebooting.

I took a video, but I worry about having private info in my video
buffer, so if you'd like to see it, email me privately.

The system is otherwise operational and fine. Nothing in dmesg, even
with i915 debugging enabled, and if it weren't for the display
artifacts, I believe the actual rendering in video memory would be
fine. So this sort of looks like a display driver or some sort of psr
problem.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to provide more debug
info. It's pretty trivial to reproduce: I just put my laptop to sleep
and wake it back up.

Jason