[Intel-gfx] [v8 3/5] drm/edid: read HF-EEODB ext block

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Wed Mar 23 12:14:29 UTC 2022

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022, Simon Ser <contact at emersion.fr> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 23rd, 2022 at 13:02, Jani Nikula <jani.nikula at intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Simon and Daniel also tell me on IRC we can't just modify the base block
>> extension count to match HF-EEODB to dodge the problem, because the EDID
>> gets exposed to userspace.
>
> I'm not familiar how the EDID blob gets exposed to user-space. If the
> EDID data gets copied when creating the blob, and the blob is created
> before the kernel mutates the EDID to accomodate for HF-EEODB, then
> this proposal might still be workable.

You'd still end up with tracking separate copies of the EDID, which is
not necessarily easier. There are almost 70 calls to update the
connector EDID property that gets exposed to userspace, and the call
sites would need to know which copy to pass.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center