[Intel-gfx] Developing a new backlight driver for specific OLED screen

Aurélien aurelien.intel at ap2c.com
Fri Oct 28 15:53:43 UTC 2022

Hi,

I come back on my problem regarding the development of a specific driver which controls the brightness of my OLED device.

> If it's eDP and uses some proprietary DPCD brightness control mechanism,
> I think in practice it usually is somewhat dependent on the GPU.
>
> (OTOH I realize you don't mention eDP. If it's not eDP, DDC/CI is the
> more likely way to control brightness than DPCD.)

I succeed to control the brightness through the /dev/drm_dp_aux0 device.
Since I only need access to the DP AUX channel, I would like to develop an independant (from the GPU) driver. Unfortunately I don't know how to get access to the DP AUX channel from this independant driver.. Do you have some ideas?

I am totally agree with the fact that this display might only be used with an intel gfx card but I'm not sure that this code (which only use DP AUX read/write access) must be in the intel gfx driver code.

>> Unfortunately I guess the mechanism is not shared with many OLED
>> displays...
>
> Do you have a spec for it? How does it differ from the VESA eDP DPCD
> brightness control?

I don't have any specs but as far as I understood it configures some screen registers to scale the PWM of all OLED pixels depending on the display state. It uses its own vendor's ports and registers. And values sent on the display registers to set the desired brightness are computed with complex formulaes (and the calculation needs static tables of values and display information got from the display at startup).